The U.S. Department of State is accepting applications for the 2022 TechGirls Exchange Program are now open. The TechGirls program is a four-week (July 8 – August 3, 2022) summer exchange designed to empower and support young women (ages 15-17) to pursue higher education and careers in STEM fields through hands-on skills development.
TechGirls – TechGirls is an Initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. TechGirls is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire young women from around the world to pursue careers in science and technology.
The TechGirls program is modeled after TechWomen, a mentoring program that pairs international participants with American female leaders in technology fields. Echoing the overall goals of the TechWomen program, the TechGirls program supports development in the field of technology. It helps young women to reach their full potential in the technology industry.
The program builds on the United States’ global commitment to advance the rights of women and girls worldwide and promote STEM education. It also fosters sustained connections/networks and mutual understanding among the youth of the United States and participating countries around the globe.
The centrepiece of the summer 2022 program is an intensive technology camp hosted by Virginia Tech University. Participants will then be split into six smaller cohorts, each traveling to a different U.S. city for a seven-day community immersion program.
TechGirls Leadership Program in the USA 2021:
- Host Country: United States of America
- Host Organization: U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
- Program Duration: The duration of the TechGirls youth exchange program in the USA is 4 weeks.
- No. of Participants: 136
- Application Deadline: The application deadline for the TechGirls Exchange Program 2022 in the United States is January 15, 2022.
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Visa Fee
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Housing during program
- Double occupancy dormitory accommodations
- Meals during program
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
Eligibility Criteria TechGirls Exchange Program 2022:
- Candidates must belong to the eligible countries listed in Sub-Saharan Africa, East Asia and Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, South and Central Asia, Western Hemisphere, Europe and Eurasia, and the USA.
- Candidates should be between the age of 15 and 17 at the beginning of the program.
- Candidates must possess advanced skills and interest in technology or engineering or math during their study tenure.
- Candidates must wish to pursue their higher education and career in technology.
- Candidates must have strong English language skills.
- Candidates must exhibit a mature, flexible, and open-minded approach.
- Candidates must be ready to attend at least one additional semester after their return to their home country.
- Candidates must be willing to complete a community service project in their home country after their return.
- Candidates with no prior experience of the USA or who have not visited the USA in last three years are preferred.
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and South Africa
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- The Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- United States of America
Register fromTechGirls website.
Complete the application form online with:
- Personal information
- Address and contact details
- Essay responses
- All required documents
- Submit your application.
- If you have a passport, you will need to include the number. It is not required to have a passport to apply.
- Please note also that the application requires contact information and a signature from at least one parent/guardian.
- Semifinalists will be contacted via email on/around March 1 for the next stage of interviews.
- Final decisions will be made in early April.
- All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
- You can find the experience of previous participants from the official link below.
- If you have any question contact them from the official link below.